Ahhh, young, adolescent, love ❤️ The cool and refreshing wind of innocence filling your days with hope and wonder as the smell of new beginnings and (mis) fortunes wrap your thoughts with a sunshine state of mind. Remember the feeling that everything was ahead of you, you just have to walk the path, but nobody told you that taking a detour or obstacles can get in your way?
Netflix’s pre-produced kdrama, My First First Love (Also known as “Because it’s my First Love”), offers viewers with a walk down memory lane of a time in our lives where our curiosity and senses were heightened to explore and make our mark in the world.
We meet our gang altogether at the end of the 1st episode, eager to meet with the series lead, Yun Tae Oh (Played by Ji Soo), as he is the common friend of the four individuals. Due to their personal circumstances sans Do Hyun (the single guy in the picture below), they end up living at Tae Oh’s house. Currently 23 years old and in college, Tae Oh’s friends’ will soon find themselves entangled with each other.
From left to right, the trio in the image above are:
1. Hoon – He was kicked out of his home because his dad had enough of him trying out for musicals and pursuing singing. He goes to auditions and vows to show his parents that he’ll make something of himself someday.
2. Song Yi – Long haired girl in the middle, is Tae Oh’s best friend from high school who is homeless now because her house was seized and her MIA mom wasn’t able to help her out. She is best friends with Tae Oh and develops a crush on Do Hyun. They go to the same school together where she studies architecture.
3. Ga Rin – Wearing the red hoodie, she is a childhood friend of Tae Oh who ran away from her strict and sheltered lifestyle. She follows Hoon in his auditions hoping to learn something from him.
Rounding up the whole gang is:
4. Do Hyun – Goes to the same college witth Tae Oh and is studying to become a civil servant someday. He meets Song Yi in another way (Not thru Tae Oh) and even if he is uninterested in girls, he finds himself falling for her.
5. Tae Oh – Last but not the least, the cheerful, Mr. Congeniality, and glue of the group — Tae Oh is living the bachelor life (not anymore though😜) at his grandfather’s house. He just wants to bring a girl home but complications get in the way of his plans.
Tae Oh had feelings for Song Yi when they were in highschool but the latter did not feel the same for him. There’s the classic love triangle plot here and I’d like to say that it’s cliché and predictable, and yes, the story seems to be pushing Song Yi and Do Hyun together BUT you never know! To be young (er) and have the first signs of heart fluttering, stolen glances, and eventual confessions of the fragile heart — My First First Love presents the details and care of first love in a light yet heartwarming tone❤️ Still rooting for Tae Oh to end up with the girl (As of this writing, I’m only on episode 5).
A story about firsts, friendship, and growing up, My First First Love is a is a slice of life korean drama that comforts our forever young souls but prepares us for the harsher but still fun stage of adulthood. Netflix has released all 8 episodes already so binge watch this if you can!😁